As a Foundation Trust, we are held to account by our Members who, acting through our Council of Governors, offer constructive challenge to the Non-executive Directors on important issues which matter to our members.
The Council of Governors consists of elected and nominated governors who provide an important link between the Trust, local people and key stakeholder organisations by sharing information and views that can be used to develop and improve patient services.
All Foundation Trusts are required to have a Council of Governors, which carries out a range of legal functions on behalf of the members of the Trust including:
- Appointing the Chair
- Appointing the Non-Executive Directors
- Appointing the Auditors
- Being involved in the setting the plans for the Trust
- Holding an Annual Members' Meeting
- Approving the Trust's Constitution
- Holding the Non-Executive Directors individually and collectively, to account for the performance of the Board of Directors
- Approving the appointment of the Chief Executive
- Representing members' interests and bringing these to bear on strategy decisions
- Approving significant transactions
- Providing input into the development of the annual plan
- Receiving the annual report and accounts and the auditor's opinion on them
Council of Governors
The Council of Governors is made up of people of all ages and backgrounds who all share one thing in common - the continued development of the Trust.
The Council represents the interests of the Trust's many members and the partner organisations with whom we work locally, e.g. local councils and other NHS organisations.
The Council is responsible for holding the Non-Executive Directors to account for the Trust's Board of Directors' stewardship of the organisation.
The Council also helps the Trust carry out its duties in ways that meet with NHS values and the terms agreed with the Independent Regulator for NHS Foundation Trusts (NHS Improvement) whose role it is to oversee NHS Foundation Trusts.
The Council is formed of 24 Governors made up of public and staff elected members, together with people appointed to represent the interests of our local partner organisations:
|Type of Governor||Number|
Please see Council of Governors meetings.
These are elected by our Members to work as part of our Council of Governors with our Non-executive Directors, to influence strategy and patient services.
Please see Public Governors.
These are appointed by key local partner organisations.
Please see Appointed Governors.
These are elected by our staff.
Please see Staff Governors.
If you have any questions, please contact us.