We work with people who have acquired difficulties in communicating and/or swallowing.

This can be for a number of reasons including:

  • Stroke
  • Head injury
  • Head and neck cancer
  • Voice disorders
  • Dementia
  • Long-term neurological conditions

We aim to:

  • Improve the person's ability to communicate or swallow
  • Support people and their families and carers to manage their difficulties
  • Educate others about communication and swallowing difficulties
  • Liaise with other agencies

Where we work

We are based at the Great Western Hospital where we see inpatients and outpatients.

But we also work in:

  • Swindon Intermediate Care Centre (SwICC) - Rehabilitation
  • Day hospitals 
  • Victoria Centre 
  • Day Centres
  • Domiciliary (home) visits 
  • Nursing/residential homes
  • Outpatients in the community
  • Community health centres

Who we work with

We work in a variety of teams including:

  • Community Stroke Team 
  • Community Rehabilitation Team 
  • ENT (Ear, Nose and Throat) Voice Clinic
  • Older People's Mental Health Service
  • Joint Clinic
  • Rehabilitation in SwICC

How we can help

  • Investigation and Assessment (often part of multidisciplinary team)
  • Therapy (individual or group)
  • Liaison with other services 
  • Training for carers or other professionals 
  • Provision of strategies and leaflets

We are able to work through interpreters if needed.  


We accept referrals by letter or phone.

Referrals are usually made by GPs, consultants and other health professionals, but self-referrals can also be accepted in some cases.


Great Western Hospital

Tel: 01793 605101

SwICC (Swindon Intermediate Care Centre)

Tel: 01793 605525

Services for children and young people


Speech and language services for children and young people in Swindon are provided by Swindon Borough Council - please see the Swindon Borough Council website: Speech and language therapy.


Speech and language services for children, young people and adults in Wiltshire are provided by Wiltshire Health and Care - please see the Wiltshire Health and Care website: Speech and Language Therapy.