Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) is a viral infection that gradually damages the immune system and reduces the ability to fight infections. The good news is that today we have treatments that can prevent people from becoming unwell.
With early diagnosis and effective treatment, most people with HIV will live a long and healthy life. Whilst being effectively treated for HIV, you cannot pass the virus onto others.
We provide testing, treatment, and prevention options for HIV.
As a clinic we offer different methods to prevent HIV infection:
- Condoms: Condoms can greatly reduce your chance of contracting STIs, including HIV.
- Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP): PrEP is a medication that can be taken to reduce the risk of getting HIV. This is free from sexual health clinics and is provided to anyone from communities or groups that are most at risk of getting HIV. Please contact us if you would like to discuss PrEP further.
- Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP): PEP is a medication that can be taken to help stop a HIV infection after being exposed to the virus. To reduce your risk of becoming HIV positive you must take this medication within 72 hours of the risk, ie unprotected sex. PEP is free on the NHS and is only given to those who meet certain criteria. If you think you are at risk and may need PEP, please call us, or visit an emergency department during the weekends or bank holidays.
Living with HIV
Our clinics provide support and management for those living with HIV. We can provide the full range of anti-retroviral therapy that can be tailored to your individual needs.
As HIV is a long-term condition, you will need to be in regular contact with your healthcare team, who will review your treatment on an ongoing basis and take regular blood tests.
If you need to transfer your HIV care to Swindon, please call us directly, or ask your current clinic to make an onward referral to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis) | Terrence Higgins Trust (tht.org.uk)
- PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis for HIV) | Terrence Higgins Trust (tht.org.uk)
- About HIV | Terrence Higgins Trust (tht.org.uk)
- HIV and AIDS - NHS (www.nhs.uk)
- Home - Brigstowe - positive change together
- Support with diagnosis, care and life with HIV in the UK - Positively UK
- Chiva | Home - HIV for young people