Who we treat
Paediatric musculoskeletal physiotherapy focuses on the assessment of paediatric orthopaedic conditions for children aged 5-17 years, including:
- Growth-related conditions - e.g. Ogood Schlatters Disease
- Sports injuries
- General muscle and joint aches and pain
Referrals are received via GP, specialist consultants and from other specialist children's hospitals.
Specialist paediatric physiotherapy for children with neurodevelopmental conditions, long term medical needs and learning disabilities are serviced by the Paediatric Physiotherapy Team at The Saltway Centre in Swindon.
Great Western Hospital - Betjemen Centre, ground floor (please see Floor plan).
Assessment and treatment
All patients must be accompanied by an adult for the length of their assessment/treatment.
Assessment of the condition will be conducted taking into consideration the effect of this on their schooling and ability to participate in sports.
In order to undertake a thorough assessment, patients may be asked to undress but please try to wear appropriate clothing e.g. shorts or a vest top.
Treatment may include:
- Exercises to improve strength, balance and muscle length
- Pain management advice
- Gym circuit
We run a Paediatric Lower Limb Rehabilitation Class, where patients are issued an individualised gym circuit, performed in a class environment, to address the limitations found in their assessment.
Patients are then encouraged to continue exercising in a gym environment if old enough.
Please see below for information about junior gym sessions in Swindon.
Junior gym sessions
- Association of Paediactric Chartered Physiotherapists
- Better Health: Haydon Centre Junior Gym
- Better Health: Link Centre Junior Gym
- Better Health: Health Hydro Junior Gym
- Better Health: Oasis Junior Gym
- Grange Junior Gym sessions
Tel: 01793 605093 or 01793 605094