The delivery of palliative care to patients at GWH is supported by the in-reach palliative care service provided by Prospect Hospice.
The service provides advice and support for adults living with an advanced and progressive life-limiting illness who are likely to be in the last year of their life.
The Prospect Palliative Care Team at GWH is comprised of nurse specialists and a consultant in palliative medicine.
The team works directly with patients and families, and indirectly by supporting ward teams to promote individualised care.
Referrals to the service can be made for patients who:
- Are experiencing complex symptoms
- Require additional emotional support for themselves or their families
- Are considering their current or future preferences and priorities, including their place of care
- May be receiving medical treatment, but their recovery is uncertain
- Care of people who are dying with complex needs that cannot be met by the palliative care approach of the ward team
For those patients who are dying at GWH, their care is provided by GWH NHS Foundation trust staff.
Tel: 01793 605324 (Monday to Friday, 9.00am-5.00pm)
24-hour advice is provided by Prospect Hospice - please phone 01793 813355.