Under the Data Protection Act 2018 and UK GDPR (UK General Data Protection Regulation), and subject to certain conditions, individuals have a legal right of access to personal information held about them, including their health records.
Requests for access to personal information are called Subject Access Requests.
- The right to obtain a copy of the record in permanent form, and
- The right to review a record without obtaining a copy
- The right to have information explained where necessary
The Act requires us to respond to a subject access request within one calendar month of receiving it.
However, the Department of Health recommends that we respond within 21 days of receipt.
There are two circumstances under which access may be denied or restricted:
- If access might cause serious harm to the patients' physical or mental health
- If the record contains third party information.
Your patient records
Please see Patient records.
Proof of identity
We will need to confirm your identity before disclosing any information or releasing photocopies.