This is a programme of six weekly sessions designed for people with long-term back and/or leg pain run by Senior Physiotherapists.
The programme includes an educational talk each week with advice and education on:
- Pacing, planning, prioritising
- The role of exercise
- Psychology and back pain with a guest speaker from LIFT psychology
- Graded exercise
- Relaxation and sleep
- Promotion of activity and signposting on to community exercise sessions
The talks are followed by an exercise session taken at your own pace and conclude with a relaxation component helping you to learn to take time for yourself.
Advice on how to move forward after the programme and improve your mobility and activity levels will be provided which can include referral to Thamesdown Hydrotherapy and LiveWell Swindon.
You should be committed to attend all six sessions as they usually run consecutively and cannot be added onto the end if you miss one.
You should wear some comfortable clothing that you can move around in and be prepared to answer questionnaires and forms on the first and last sessions.
Referral is usually from a physiotherapist based in the outpatient department of the Great Western Hospital, GP practices or Health Centres.
Orthopaedic or MATS Consultants may also recommend that you attend the Back on Track programme.
In this instance we will try to invite you for a one to one consultation first.
Why you might be referred to Back on Track
Most forms of back pain are not serious and do not need X-rays, MRI's or lots of treatment.
Evidence shows us that physical management including exercise to improve the movement, strength and function of the back has a better outcome than medical management (operations, injections) for the majority of back pain.
That is why you will have been recommended to attend.
Cancelling your place
If you have been referred to the class but do not wish to attend, then please contact us (please see below) so we can allocate your place to another patient.
Class times, locations and contact details
|Tuesday||4.15pm-5.45pm||Physiotherapy Department, Modular facility, South Car Park, Great Western Hospital||01793 605093|
|Thursday||10.30am-12.00pm||West Swindon Health Centre
(please see Service locations listing and map)
Please see also:
- Versus Arthritis website: Back pain
- Live Well With Pain website: Advice on pain management - a very useful resource with easy-to-read information and videos
- Science behind back pain - videos from experts in pain management to further explain what we have discussed (these speakers are all Australian, as they have been the leading force in this field of chronic pain management):
Please see also:
- Activity management:
- Exercise for back pain - gentle, varied exercises are shown to help. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- NHS website: Back pain pilates video workout - pilates for back pain
- NHS website: MS and Fibromyalgia pilates video workout - pilates for MS (multiple sclerosis) or fibromyalgia (also useful for anyone with 'all over' stiffness and pain)
- Early Back Pain Class Exercises
Please see also:
- The Swindon LIFT Psychology website
- Live Well With Pain: How to sleep well with pain
- Back on Track Group - Session 5 - Sleep and Relaxation leaflet
- Mindfulness - help to sleep and managing unhelpful thoughts:
Back on Track Programme Co-ordinator
Tel: 01793 696642