We provide support, to both inpatients and outpatients, to help you quit smoking in pregnancy and soon after giving birth.
Our friendly service provides nicotine replacement and non-judgemental support.
We will develop a plan together to help you to quit as soon possible, but stopping smoking now will make a big difference to your health and the health of your developing baby.
10 great reasons to quit smoking
The earlier you give up smoking in pregnancy, the more likely it is that these apply:
- You will reduce your baby's risk of stillbirth. Smoking while pregnant is the number one risk factor for stillbirth.
- Your baby will be less likely to be born prematurely. If your baby is born prematurely they will be too sick to go home after birth and will have to stay in hospital.
- Your baby is more likely to be a healthy weight at birth.
- You will reduce your baby's risk of cot death (sudden infant death syndrome). Smoking while pregnant is the number one risk factor for babies to die unexpectedly after birth. Around one in three babies' lives could be saved from sudden infant death if parents didn't smoke.
- Your child will have a lower risk of health problems, such as asthma and lung infections. Poisons and chemicals in smoke damage the unborn baby's lungs and this has implications through their life.
- Your child is less likely to become a smoker and live longer. Non-smokers live 10 years longer than smokers on average.
- You'll be less stressed. Smokers suffer nicotine withdrawal symptoms, such as depression and anxiety, every time their nicotine levels get too low.
- Your home will smell fresher.
- Your breath, clothes and hair won't smell of smoke.
- You'll save money.
Can I cut down instead of quitting altogether?
Cutting down may not actually reduce your exposure to carbon monoxide and the chemicals found in cigarette smoke.
Quitting smoking completely is the best way to keep you and your baby safe from the dangers of cigarette smoke.
Our Specialist Stop Smoking Midwife is here to support you.
Great Western Hospital - Second Floor (please see Floor plan).
Specialist Stop Smoking Midwife
Tel: 07585 402192