Finding and treating cancer at an early stage saves lives
Breast awareness is about knowing your own breasts and what's normal for you.
It's important that you know your usual shape and feel of your breasts, and being able to recognise any changes.
Your breasts may feel different depending on your age or time of the month.
The five point code
- Know what is normal for you
- Know what changes to look and feel for
- Look and feel
- Report any changes to your GP without delay
- Attend for routine breast screening, if you are over 50
Changes to look for
- A change in shape or size
- A lump or thickened area
- Puckering or dimpling of the skin
- Nipple becoming pulled in or changing direction
- Rash in or around the nipple
- Sudden roughness of the skin
- Swelling in the arm pit
- New pain that is constant, and will not go away
If you notice any of these changes, contact your GP immediately.
Please see Information and support.