Your health record

You can ask to see your health record at any time during a consultation or by phoning us to arrange a time to see it.

If you don't understand any part of your record, please just ask the health professional who is holding the record and they will explain it to you.

To receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you, you must make a formal application called a subject access request.

Subject access requests

Under the Data Protection Act 1998, you have a right to apply for a copy of the personal health information held about you.

If you want to see your health record, you don't have to give a reason.

Your health record contains information about your mental and physical health recorded by a healthcare professional as part of your care.

It's a good idea to state the dates of the records you require when you apply.

Some types of personal data are exempt from the right of subject access and so cannot be obtained by making a subject access request.

For more information, please see the Information Commissioner's Office website - Exemptions (


No fee is charged to view your records in person.

If you wish to take a copy away, you may be charged.

The charge will vary, depending on how the information is stored.

The maximum charges are:

  • £10 for records that are only held electronically
  • Up to £50 for those records that are not available in electronic form or only partially available electronic form


You will receive a response no later than 40 days after your application is received, your identity is checked and any relevant fee has been paid.

How to make a request

Please complete and return the Application for Access to Health Records form via email to or post to:

Health Records Department
Great Western Hospital
Marlborough Road

Other people's health records

You can apply for records on behalf of another individual in exercise of their rights by a subject access request.

As a general rule, parental responsibility will give you the right to apply for access to a child's health record.

If you want to see the health records of someone who has died, you must apply in writing under the Access to Health Records Act (1990).

The personal representative (executor or administrator of the estate) of the deceased, or any person who may have a claim arising out of the patient's death, may apply for access.

Further information

Please see the Information Commissioner's Office website ( or contact:

The Health Records Department
Tel: 01793 604699 or 01793 604698

For further information on the way the Trust uses and shares your information, please see Privacy Notice for patients.

Report a problem with this web page

Please contact us at and we'll put it right.

Translate this page: